- Similar Trips
- Accommodation in Pokhara at tourist standard hotels on bed / breakfast basis
- Accommodation in tea house or provided tents during the trek as mentioned in the trek type
- Accommodation including breakfast at star HOTELS in Kathmandu
- Airport transfers
- Applicable TIMS (Trekking Information Management Systems) card and National Park permit
- Government / Local taxes, Tourist service charge, guide / porter insurance and salary, general equipment, national park and conservation area fees
- Highly experienced Government licensed guide and necessary porters during the trek
- Kathmandu City Tour with an Experienced Tour Guide (Kathmandu Valley) depends on your time frame
- Porter (2 clients: 1 porter)
- Transportation to Pokhara and back to Kathmandu with deluxe tourist bus before and after the trip and Pokhara - Nayapul -Pokhara by private car.
- Welcome or Farewell dinner in Kathmandu at authentic Nepalese restaurant with cultural programs
- Other International flights
- Personal expenses
- Tips to guide and driver
- Visa arrangements
How hard is Upper Mustang trek?
Starting with moderate walks with up hills and short breaks, trek is pleasant except for high altitude on reaching Upper Mustang area above 3,000 meters high where you might feel short of breathe, as the trek continues one will be acclimatized on daily walk. With rest day for acclimatization and the daily walk helps acclimatizing on this trek with slow rise in elevation, the only tough days are climb up to some passes, but taking slow walk everyone can enjoy this wonderful trek to Upper Mustang.
How cold during this trek?
Morning and night time are always cold above 2,000 meters with day time are sunny most of the season, spring and summer above 2,500 m 15°-18° C average and minimum of 0° to 5° C, autumn / winter day time 15°-16° C and can get below -5° C during morn / night time. We do not run this trek from mid November to March due to high chances of snow on the pass and most of the lodges and guesthouses will be closed for winter vacation where local migrates to lower area of Nepal or to India also.
Preparation and expectations required for this trek?
As this is a moderate and adventurous trekking one needs to be physical fit with sound health, however after booking this trip one can do short exercise jogging and climbing up and down the steps, aerobic or Jumba exercise will be great exercise preparation for this trek. Mustang area of complete Tibetan Buddhist religion and culture, visit monasteries where our guide will inform of the rules while entering holy sites with dress conducts.
What is moderate, adventurous to Challenging grade?
As this trek starts with moderate grade of walking as altitude wise as the trek progress leading higher elevation of above 3,000 meters will be adventurous overcoming high altitude and thin air, if the trails are covered in deep snow including the pass we use the word grade as challenging which is an arduous job to find the safe path to respective destinations. If the pass is completely covered in deep snow we will consider and might re-route the trek to safe area for the welfare, safety of clients including staff and porters.
- Day 1
- Day 2
- Day 3
- Day 4
- Day 5
- Day 6
- Day 7
- Day 8
- Day 9
- Day 10
- Day 11
- Day 12
- Day 13
- Day 14
- Day 15
- Day 16
Arrival in Kathmandu and transfer to hotel.
On reaching Kathmandu Tribhuvan International Airport, received by our staff then transfer to respective hotels around Kathmandu city, after a rest and getting refreshed from jet lag. View Nepal guide / leader will brief on Upper Mustang Trek including information on hotels, lodges on treks includes welcome dinner in a nice Nepalese restaurant with cultural environment.
Drive / Fly to Pokhara - 06 hrs via overland and 30 minutes by air.
Morning, we start this wonderful adventure to Upper Mustang taking a scenic overland drive of near 6 hours to beautiful Pokhara city with its serene Phewa and Begnas Lakes where the high Annapurna Himalaya reflects on its calm lakes. (Flying options of 30 mins panoramic flight to Pokhara)
Morning flight to Jomsom 2,715 m, trek to Kagbeni 2,800 m- 04 hrs.
Early morning depart from the hotel for a short sweeping flight of 22 mins to Jomsom with alluring views of Annapurna-Dhaulagiri-Manaslu and Nilgiris peaks including majestic Mt. Machhapuchare “Fish Tail”. On reaching at Jomsom, we meet our trekking staff and start trekking and leave Jomsom, the headquarter town of Mustang district. Quite a large town, this area is famous for delicious apples and its various products. Walk leads on a flat river valley of Kaligandaki. After few hours of good gradual walk we reach at the interesting Kagbeni village. From this village onwards one can witness strong Tibetan influence in culture and way of life. Kagbeni is the door to Upper Mustang and beyond to Tibet border.
Trek to Chele 3,050m - 06 hrs.
From Kagbeni our trek starts with real adventure towards Upper Mustang area as the morning walk follows uphill into canyon and gorge by the river upstream, overlooking unbelievable views of landscapes and red cliff wall in-between. Walking through many farm villages with cultivated lands then reaching a nice village at Tirigaon. This pleasant trek with views of natural erosion from wind and rains with red colored cliff canyon, a few hours of nice walk leads to overnight stop at Chele village also spelled as Tshele, a moderate size village with nice tended farms.
Trek to Geling 3,540 m - 05 hrs.
From Chele morning walk leads to a climb reaching at Gyakar village, into arid and dry windswept country and then walk leads past Samar village to Bhena and then climb on steep hill to reach at the top of Yamda La pass 3,860 m high, offers great vista of Mustang area with Mt. Dhaulagiri. From here downhill to overnight stop at Geling village after walking past Syangboche village.
Trek to Charang (Tsherang) 3,560 m - 06 hrs.
Morning with time tour of old Geling monastery and observe interesting Buddhist mani prayer wheels run with fast flowing water. After the visit walk towards Ghami village crossing Ghaymi Khola (stream) and then follow an interesting line of Mani walls (holy prayer stone) to reach Dhakmar village. From Dhakmar few hours of good steady walk reaches at Charang village also spelled as Tsarang, this village surrounded by large fields of buck wheat and barley. At Charang after getting organize in a nice lodge / guesthouse visit Charang monastery.
Trek to Lo-Manthang 3,700 m - 04 hrs.
Today will be a short hours of walking to reach our destination at Lo Manthang with its classic wall guarding the large village of Lo Manthang and once a forbidden kingdom. As the morning walk climbs to reach a ridge top, encountering several chortens and mani stones, between Charang and Lo Manthang walk offers interesting views of arid landscapes with peaks of Nilgiri’s, Tilicho and Bhrikuti. A short climb over Lo La pass at 3,950 meters overlooking Lo Manthang walled city in a distance. Then descend leading on a gentle path to Lo Manthang for overnight stops for 2 days.
In Lo-Manthang for acclimatization and local hike.
Our highest overnight stop of this trip at Lo Manthang, morning explore this impressive village with Tibetan culture, tour of historical and cultural centre which is the main attraction of Lo-Manthang. Tour includes visit of four main monasteries Namgyal Gompa, Champa Lakhang (God House), Red Thubchen Gompa, Chyodi Gompa and the great Entrance Hall. To grant audience with former king of Mustang needs advance permission and to enter the king’s palace.
Trek to Dhakmar 3,810 m - 06 hrs.
After a wonderful time in Lo-Manthang walk back on the same trail to Marang village, and then using an old path to Dhakmar village for overnight stop.
Trek to Ghiling 3,806 m - 06 hrs.
After Dhakmar village morning walk on the same route encountering series of long Mani Walls, then crossing a bridge over Ghami Khola to reach at Ghami village for overnight, as time permits visit Geling monastery.
Trek to Chusang / Tsusang 2,980 m - 06 hrs.
Slowly this great adventure nears to an end, starting morning walk with a short climb to Syangboche village. From here it leads to Yamda La with super views of peaks, and then heading downhill to Bhena and Samar villages. As the walk progress passing Gyakar and Chele villages and finally this good walk of the day concludes at Chusang or Tsusang village.
Trek to Kagbeni 2,830 m - 05 hrs.
Heading back to Kagbeni village after an enjoyable moment around Upper Mustang, a nice and good walk brings at Kagbeni village before Jomsom.
Trek to Jomsom 2,715 m - 04 hrs.
Final and last day trekking of this wonderful adventure, morning starts on a gradual path following Kaligandaki river valley most of the way to reach at Jomsom town, in Jomsom check into a nice lodge for last overnight at Mustang area. One can celebrate last night dinner with local apple products.
Fly to Pokhara and transfer to hotel.
Morning transfer to Jomsom airport for short flight to Pokhara with views of Annapurna mountain range during airborne, on reaching Pokhara transfer to Phewa Lake side. Where all nice hotels are located, afternoon free for individual activities and souvenir shopping or just relax and enjoy the views.
Drive of fly back to Kathmandu.
Morning a scenic drive to Kathmandu, after a wonderful memorable trip in the high mountains of Annapurna Himalaya, on reaching Kathmandu transfer to respective hotels with afternoon free at leisure. (option by air 30 minutes scenic flight to Kathmandu)
International departure homeward bound.
Today, last day in Nepal with great experience and fond memories of Upper Mustang Trekking, as per your time for international flight, our staff transfer you to airport for your final departure homeward bound or to your next destinations.
More about Nepal
Read our tour reviews and get the best prices on all tours by Nepal Trekking Operators. Real reviews from past travelers. The following reviews were received from our candid clients who have been joining their trip with us based on their personal preference over the years. We look forward to receiving positive and inspiring comments from our potential clients. Happy Travel!!!
More about this trip
- 3-4 season sleeping bag with hood
- Thermo rest self-inflating pad or foam mat
- Main luggage- Rucksack or Duffel
- 30 - 40 liter Daypack- to carry water bottles, camera, lunch & extra clothing
- Stuff sacks and plastic bags for keeping your gear dry and organized
- Water bottles with a wide mouth
- A pair adjustable trekking poles
- Insulated plastic mug (optional)
- Pocketknife Swiss army style (optional)
- Toiletries bag for toilet paper, soap, saving items, tooth paste & toothbrush etc
- Running shoes or sandals-to used in camp/ teahouse lodge
- Hiking boots- good quality
- Gaiters- a pair to use to keep boots dry if walking through deep snow or on wet ground
- Woolen or Pile Socks-heavy weight wool to be worn over the liner socks
- Liner Socks-smooth thin liner socks to reduce of getting blisters
- Knee or ankles support pad
Clothing items for Trip:
- Gore-Tex pants and jacket with hood
- Medium weight down jacket with hood
- Light trekking trouser
- Long sleeve light colored polypropylene shirts
- Polar Tec fleece jacket
- Thermal underwear for both top & bottom
- Polar Tec fleece pant
- Personal under garments
- Quick dry type towel
- Casual wears before after the trek
- Polypropylene liner gloves
- Fleece gloves
- Good quality mittens or gloves
- Warm woolen or fleecy hat/balaclava
- Sun hat or cap with bandana for shading the neck
- Bandana or scarf
- Headlamp for use at night around the camp with extra batteries and spare bulbs
- High quality sunglasses with 100% UV protection
- Dust mask
Other Travel Accessories:
- Sunscreen and lip salve SPF 30 or above
- Insect repellant
- Water purification tablets (iodine or chlorine)
- Favorite snack items
- Reading & writing materials, ipod and cards
- Camera, memory card and extra battery
- Passport photo copy & photos
- Insurance certificate copy
- Earplugs (optional)
- Baby wipes (optional)
- Anti bacterial hand gel (optional)
Personal first aid kit pack:
- Any personal medications
- Malaria prophylactic tablets
- Antibiotics capsules
- Imodium and anti amoebious, bacterial tablets
- Blister treatment plasts
- Dehydration solution
- Analgesic- Paracetamol, aspirin
- Anti cold tablets
- Diclofenac gel
- Antiseptic cream & throat lozenges
- Diamox for AMS
- Sanitary pad (for women)
- Ear & eye drop